Residency Requirement

You are considered an Iowa resident for tuition purposes if your legal residence is in Iowa and you have lived in the state for no less than 90 days immediately before the first day of classes of the term for which you have enrolled.

You are responsible for providing your in-state status. If you would like to apply to be reclassified from non-resident to resident status, fill out a Request for Residency Status Form in the College Registrar’s Office and provide the following support documents: rent receipts, or evidence of ownership of property in Iowa, and two of the following documents - Iowa income tax return, Iowa vehicle registration, Iowa driver’s license, Iowa voter registration card. Paperwork must be in place prior to the 5th day of the semester.

If you are reclassified as a resident, that reclassification becomes effective immediately and does not cover any term for which you previously have been enrolled. International students cannot establish residency while studying in this country on a temporary student visa. Contact the Admissions Office or College Registrar for more information.

Residency of Federal Personnel and Dependents

A person and his/her spouse who have moved into the State of Iowa as the result of military or civil orders from the federal government and the minor children of such persons are entitled to Iowa residency status.

Active duty military personnel, as well as their spouses and dependent children, are considered to be Iowa residents for admission, tuition and fee purposes.