How old do I need to be to enroll?

You must be within three months of your 17th birthday to enroll in the program. (Exception: Individuals who are court ordered to attend HSE courses may enroll any time after their 16th birthday.)

return to top

What are placement assessments?

The assessments, in reading and math, are used to determine your placement in the program by identifying your specific academic needs.

return to top

What documentation is required at placement assessment?

  • Photo identification
  • Social Security Number


17 & 18 year olds will need: 

Drop slip or letter of non-enrollment from the last high school attended

17 year olds will also need: 

Parent or guardian (to sign permission form)

return to top


What do my assessment scores (CASAS) mean?

The CASAS assessment scores are placement scores within the program and determine the class. To get a sense of what the scores mean, please see this chart from CASAS.

return to top


What is orientation?

Orientation is an essential experience for new students. It is designed to provide students with an in-depth understanding of the High School Equivalency (HSE) program.

return to top

How much does it cost?


  • Registration is free.
  • $53.75 testing fee paid to HiSET when you are ready to begin testing. This covers all five exams (low income students may apply for assistance with testing fees).
  • Diploma fee is free for the first copy of your HSE diploma, verification letter or transcripts. Requests can be submitted once all HiSET scores are confirmed.

return to top

When do classes start?

See Academic Calendar.

return to top

Can I do it all online?

No. We offer online resources such as Khan Academy and EdReady to supplement what you are learning in class, but these are not meant to be stand-alone programs.

return to top

What are post-assessments?

Post-assessments scores will determine your progress through the program and towards your learning goals.

return to top


What are the Official Practice Tests (OPT’s)

These assessments are required prior to taking the official High School Equivalency Test (HiSET)

return to top


What do I need to do to complete my HiSET?

Complete the HiSET assessment for each of the five subject areas: Math, Writing, Reading, Social Studies and Science.

return to top

When is the graduation ceremony?

The Adult Education program hosts graduation ceremonies for each campus at the end of the program year, typically in June. All students who have successfully completed their High School Equivalency Test are welcome to participate and to invite their friends and family.

return to top


Where can I obtain a copy of my diploma and transcript?

Individuals may request High School Equivalency transcripts, verification letter or diploma. To submit a request, please go to DiplomaSender new window

return to top

What are the High School Equivalency College Scholarships?

Through the generosity of the EICC and college foundations, all students who receive their High School Equivalency Diploma from any of the Eastern Iowa Community Colleges will be given a voucher equivalent to three credit hours at Clinton, Muscatine or Scott Community College. The scholarship may be used toward a course in a degree program or for non-credit certificate coursework. Graduates have up to two years from the date of completion to use their scholarship.

return to top


Special Accommodations

To request accommodations for test day, visit the HiSET Website new window or contact the Adult Education program and ask to speak with the HSE Career Navigator at your local campus.

Students in need of accommodations for access to instruction may request services from the Assistant Dean at their location.

Eastern Iowa Community Colleges ensures that its programs, activities, and services are in compliance with access provisions of state and federal civil rights legislation for persons with disabilities. The Americans with Disability Act (ADA) defines a person with a disability as any person who has a record of, or is regarded as having, a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activity. An “otherwise qualified individual with a disability” is a person who, with or without reasonable accommodations, can meet the essential program or course requirements.

District policy calls for reasonable accommodation to be made for otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities on an individualized basis. It is, however, the responsibility of the student to seek available assistance at each college, to make his/her needs known, and to provide current documentation of disability. Students with disabilities may use a variety of services or reasonable accommodations intended to reduce the effects that a disability may have on their performance in an academic setting. Services do not lower course standards or alter program requirements but instead give students a better chance to demonstrate their academic abilities.

return to top