Work-Study Positions

Work-study is a federally-funded program that provides eligible students the opportunity to earn money while gaining valuable work experience. Hours can be flexible to fit around your class schedule. 

The amount of work-study funding listed on your offer letter represents your earning potential. Your actual earnings will depend on the number of hours you work.

There are many more students who are eligible for work-study than there are jobs available. Employment is not guaranteed. If you do not accept your work-study offer, or if you do not obtain employment through the work-study program, you forfeit these funds.

Steps to Secure Work-Study Employment

  1. Identify positions that you are interested in from the list below.
  2. Contact the supervisor listed to arrange for an interview.
  3. Ace the interview and get the job.
    Worried about the interview? Our Career Services Coordinator can help!
  4. Have your supervisor sign the work agreement form that they can obtain from the Financial Aid Office.
  5. Make an appointment with the Financial Aid Office to complete the appropriate pre-employment paperwork.
    Note: You will not be able to start working until all required pre-employment paperwork is complete and submitted with supporting documentation to the Financial Aid Office.

Work-Study Positions

All positions pay $11 per hour. Explore work-study positions by clicking on your college.


Work-Study FAQ

The Federal Work-Study program provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need. You can choose a job related to your course of study or community service work.

  • Provides part-time employment while you are enrolled in school.
  • Available to full-time or part-time students.
  • Pays $11 per hour.
  • Paid every two weeks for your hours worked.
  • Able to work up to 20 hours per week around your class schedule. 
  • Able to earn up to the amount you are awarded in work-study funds for the academic year.

You and your supervisor will determine your start date. Please note that you may not begin working until all required payroll paperwork has been turned in. You must also complete FERPA training before beginning work.

Yes, as long as you have enough work-study funds available. 

If you are offered another position, you may switch. You are responsible for notifying your supervisor that you will no longer be working for them. You must also inform the Financial Aid Office before you switch to ensure that all required paperwork is in place.

Who's responsible for what?

Which forms are you responsible for as a student? What does your work-study supervisor need to do? And where does the Financial Aid Office come in? Here's what everyone is responsible for to keep your work-study experience running smoothly.

Complete all “New Employee Forms” with Financial Aid before you begin working.  If you are switching Work-study positions or adding a Work-study, you need to complete the “Federal Work-Study Agreement Form” with your supervisor. You should notify the Financial Aid Office before you begin a new position to ensure that all required paperwork is in place.

All work-study students must have the following forms on file with the Human Resource department before you can begin working on campus. Please contact the Financial Aid Office to complete these forms.

  • Federal Work-Study Agreement Form
  • I-9 Form (Employment Eligibility Verification)
    • You are required to provide two types of appropriate documentation when filing the I-9 form.
  • Current W-4 Forms (Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate)
    • Federal 
    • State where you live
  • Student FICA Tax Exemption Form
  • Payroll Authorization to Mail Paycheck Form
  • College Property Agreement
  • Short Form Email and Computer Usage Policy
  • Internet Use Policy
  • Direct-Deposit Form
  • FERPA tutorial

If you fail to provide the required documentation, you will not be allowed to work until the documentation is completed.

Perform tasks as assigned by the supervisor.

Inform your supervisor of your class schedule and availability to work. You may not work during scheduled class times.

Contact your supervisor as early as possible if you will be absent due to illness. If you need to take time off or request a change to your schedule, you must give your supervisor advance notice. Continued tardiness or failure to notify your supervisor when you cannot report for work is sufficient grounds for termination.

Keep your electronic timecard up to date and accurate. Notify your supervisor right away if you make a mistake and need to correct your timecard. Falsification of a timecard is a serious offense and could result in termination from the work-study program.

Time sheets are filled out within your EICConnect account, and need to be submitted by the deadline date. Your supervisor will provide a Payroll Calendar to you.

Monitor the hours you have left to work. Talk to the Financial Aid Office about increasing your work-study award before your funds run out. 

Represent yourself and EICC in a professional manner and maintain the confidentiality of student and college records to which you may have access. Appropriate work attire is expected at all times. Speak to your supervisor for suggestions.

  • Discuss your expectations regarding the position tasks and responsibilities with your student workers.
  • Complete the “Federal Work-Study Agreement Form” with your work-study student(s) before they begin working. 
  • All work-study students must have their pre-employment payroll paperwork on file with the Human Resources Department before they can begin working on campus. The Financial Aid Office will let you know when the paperwork has been completed.
  • Coordinate work schedules that will not conflict with the student's class schedule.
  • Time sheets are filled out within the student’s EICConnect account and will be submitted to you on the due date according to the Payroll Calendar.
  • By approving the electronic timecard, you are verifying that the student worked the documented hours.
  • Inform and document if a student is not fulfilling their responsibilities and warn of potential job dismissal.
  • Monitor department work-study allocation budgets to avoid spending more than the budget allocation.
  • Notify the Financial Aid Office before hiring new students to see if they are eligible for federal work-study.

  • Award and adjust student and department work-study awards.
  • Keep a current file of job descriptions for all positions.
  • Confirm where students are assigned to work.
  • Distribute and review students’ payroll paperwork.
  • Ensure students have completed FERPA training.
  • Communicate with students and supervisors regarding work-study responsibilities.
  • Ensure federal regulations and college policies are followed.
  • Monitor student work-study earnings to ensure they do not exceed their allocation.